Minutes from the Second SO GLOBEC Science Steering Committee Meeting

Arlington, VA
10 January 2001

Attendees:  B. Beardsley, D. Costa, E. Hofmann, T. Powell, J. Torres, P. Wiebe, A. Doyle (Raytheon Polar Services)

The second meeting of the U.S. Southern Ocean GLOBEC (SO GLOBEC) Science Steering Committee took place at the Holiday Inn Arlington, VA on 10 January 2001, immediately after the second SO GLOBEC Science Investigator Meeting. The meeting began with a review of the agenda and no additional topics were proposed for inclusion on the agenda.

The first item discussed concerned personnel on cruises. It was noted that one berth is still in flux on Gould and that the disposition of the slot was pending the decision by M. Vernet on the number of people she would be sending on this cruise. It was noted that measurements of chlorophyll are needed on this cruise. Daly will cover this measurement. If the extra slot becomes available possible scenarios for using this are: Fritsen will take 1 space for productivity measurements, Daly would like 1 more person to help with high frequency acoustic measurements, and Doyle would like one more slot, if possible, RPS person. On the July-August cruise: Quetin/Ross would take 1 or Fritsen would take 1 space for productivity. Costa said Vernet wanted to talk to Penhale about possible equipment for doing fluorometry
before making a decision about giving up the slot. This issue should be resolved within the next couple of weeks. Costa noted that Martinson's group will oversee CTD measurements on the July-August cruise.

The transfer of Debbie Thiele from the Polarstern to the Palmer in April was next discussed. One suggestion from Eugene Murphy (BAS) is that this transfer could take place at Rothera, if conditions are such that a transfer at sea is not feasible. This would require the Polarstern to take Theile to Rothera. Wiebe asked if it would be easier to make the transfer at Palmer Station? He said that the plan is for the transfer to be an open water transfer about 2 or 3 May. Hofmann said that she would send a courtesy letter to Chris Rapley, the director of BAS (with copies to Penhale and Lettau), letting him know that the Palmer and Gould will be working in the region around Rothera in April and May. This was suggested by Eugene Murphy, who also noted that Rothera has full medical facilities available.

Hofmann then said that there had been many positive comments on the SO GLOBEC logo that Wiebe had designed. Input from the international attendees at the science investigator meeting was that this would be a good logo for the overall international SO GLOBEC program. The suggestion from E. Murphy, U. Bathmann, and S. Kim was that the overall logo show the entire Antarctic with sites for specific programs indicated. Each country could then revise this logo for its specific site. The U.S. SO GLOBEC program will use the
current logo, after modifications to the seal figure are made. Costa said that he would provide a better seal image.

Participation by SO GLOBEC at the International Geosphere Biosphere Program Conference, scheduled for July 2001 in Amsterdam, was next discussed. Uli Bathmann has agreed to present a poster on behalf of the SO GLOBEC program at this conference. Everyone agreed that this was a good suggestions.  Wiebe suggested putting the poster together during the April-May cruise.  Costa said this poster could also be used at the SCAR Biology Symposium that will take place in August 2001. The poster should include cruise tracks, some preliminary data sets and predator data/trajectories (if available).  Much of this can be taken from the cruise reports from the April-May cruises. The suggestion was then made to provide one poster on the international SO GLOBEC program and one on the U.S. SO GLOBEC program.
Hofmann will contact the International GLOBEC office about submitting the poster as part of the climate change poster cluster that is being organized for GLOBEC activities. She will also draft an abstract and send it for comments.

Returning to cruise personnel issues, it was noted that Daly was concerned about having enough people to do the needed acoustics measurements. The high frequency acoustics (HTI) must be watched and it will run concurrently with trawls. Powell asked if chlorophyll measurements were covered? Costa said that Fritsen will do these measurements in July-August and will pick up the water column productivity measurements if Vernet does not do these.  Costa noted a need for consistency with the procedure used for the chlorophyll measurements. Torres and Costa said that they need to get this information from Vernet.

Personnel issues on the Palmer were next discussed. Bunk space is still available on first cruise. Hofmann said that there is a request from the Chileans for 2 scientists to participate (Victor Marin and Carmen Morales).  She will check with Penhale about how to include these scientists. The suggestion was made to check with the Chileans to find out what they want to do so that there will not be interference with other planned activities and/or their interests can be accommodated. Also, one of the extra bunks on the Palmer could be allocated for the collection of samples for krill genetics.

The ODU group, with help from the Beardsley group, will pick up chlorophyll and dissolved oxygen measurements on the April-May Palmer cruise and handle some ping editing. If an extra person can be found, it would be desirable to have this person to help with the CTD group.

Wiebe informed everyone that National Geographic is willing to pay for transmission of images, video, etc., for the April-May cruise. The next step is to work out details between National Geographic and RPS. Beardsley suggested that National Geographic personnel may want to participate on the mooring cruise. Costa had query from someone at BBC with interest in crabeater seals. Hofmann mentioned that an artist from Audubon Society has requested to go on the Palmer cruise and sketch seabirds. Costa noted that the University of Santa Cruz has a science writing program internship and someone from this program may be interested in participating in the cruise.  No decisions were made concerning these activities pending input about the National Geographic interest.

The NSF will do a passive approach for dissemination of information by posting any information submitted to them on a web site and by issuing press releases for cruises upon departure. The dissemination of information and handling of publicity is regarded as important and Wiebe is working to get funding for better bandwidth. He noted that the National Geographic is starting new television program with real-time live feeds and thought this might be a viable option for funding satellite time. Beardsley agreed with including a science writer and Powell supported efforts to locate a good science writing intern to participate in the cruise. However, any cruise participant will have to do the required medicals.

Torres and Costa said that they will work on cruise plans for the Gould cruises. Costa noted that the Gould group for the July-August cruise did not come to closure on intended work and time budget needs.

Wiebe discussed cruise reports and mentioned that the components of cruise report should include the cruise objectives, narrative of daily activities, and individual sections for the science investigators to provide descriptions of what was collected and what they did with the results. The chief scientist on each cruise will notify the science investigators that the cruise reports will be done on a daily basis. He said that when no information is provided it will noted in the report and that this report is provided to the NSF. The daily reports will include tables giving information on where data are collected (meta data). The NSF wants weekly reports from chief scientists and these can be easily constructed from the daily logs. Hofmann noted that the International SO GLOBEC program has an interest in receiving copies of the cruise reports as well. The five days of steaming at the end of the cruise should allow sufficient time for compilation of the cruise report. Wiebe and Costa said that event logs for on-ice work should be developed. The reports will help with consistency in measurements across the international community. The issue of cruise reports will be addressed at the pre-cruise meeting in Punta Arenas, Chile.

Costa suggested having a second chief scientist on the Gould while he (or Torres) is off the ship on the ice and out of communication. Daly and Fritsen were suggested as this person for the April-May and July-August cruises, respectively. Doyle noted that the MPC on board will address any safety concerns.

Doyle brought up the issue of purchase of spare part kits for the ROV, which is about $25K. Wiebe suggested asking Scott Gallager about the need for this. Doyle said that she will have to talk with Penhale and Lettau about this expense since it is for a special use instrument. Costa asked if something else was being given up to buy the spare parts. Beardsley noted that the lowered ADCP will not be needed and that the funds allocated for this would cover the expense of the the spare parts kits. Powell requested a spare microstructure probe ($33K), which is not mounted on the CTD and is a general use instrument, if funds are available.

Doyle noted that dive support is not provided by the USAP. Thus, Torres will need to buy/borrow the extra dive equipment he requested as back-ups.  Powell asked if there is a safety issue associated with the extra dive equipment. Wiebe asked if the Raytheon techs are diver-trained and could their equipment be used as a back-ups in case of emergency? Beardsley noted that the safety diver's equipment should not be used as back-ups. Doyle said that RPS does not have many spares for dive equipment since it is not supposed to provide any dive support. Torres said he can fund dive equipment for his team. Doyle suggested that Torres request a repair kit for diving equipment and that she will order this. Wiebe noted that the dive reports need to go in cruise reports, along with the on-ice activities reports.

The Automatic Weather Stations (AWS) were next discussed. Beardsley said that he will talk with Chuck Stearns about the status of buying the requested two stations and that the two stations are requested. In an earlier conversation, Stearns requested that someone visit and be shown how to set these up. Beardsley asked if someone from RPS could meet with Stearns. Doyle agreed and suggested having a science person also go to meet with Stearns. The AWS will be positioned for minimum of 2 years and the University of Wisconsin posts the data from the sensors and does quality control on it.

The issue of attaching the AWS was next brought up. Beardsley noted that Skip Owen had good ideas for attaching AWS. Costa suggested getting a small Honda generator for drilling into the rock on the islands. Wiebe asked about the AWS assembly. Beardsley described it as basically a box that is put on an assembled tower. Costa noted that granitic cobble makes for complex terrain that can be difficult for attaching objects. Beardsley said that Owen mentioned an epoxy that will withstand freezing. Doyle asked if information about the islands is available and if a zodiac could land close to them. The suggestion was made to check with people who have done this before (Tony Amos). Doyle and Wiebe suggested scanning of island area during the Gould mooring cruise in March. Costa suggested bringing augers
and bags for the AWS installation.

Doyle next brought up the issue of getting divers onto the ice without putting them overboard in the zodiacs. Doyle is getting documentation from Zodiac that this should not be done and that is it potentially dangerous.  This may become a RPS policy because the MPC considers it a safety issue and may not allow divers to be deployed in this manner. The comment was made that the scientists need to be notified about this policy prior to the cruise. Doyle said that there is an extra step to attach safety strap to the front of the zodiac that will work (cargo strap on front), but this is not a preferred strategy. Beardsley noted that if captain says something is a policy, then it must be adhered to.

Doyle next brought up the issue of leaving equipment on the ships between cruises. She noted that there is a cruise in between the two SO GLOBEC cruises on the Gould. Thus, the decks will have to be cleared, but it should be possible to store equipment in the ship's hold. The Palmer is open between the two SO GLOBEC cruises, so BIOMAPER can stay on the ship.  Other equipment can be left in the warehouse. Wiebe noted that his group will require some time for offloading and onloading and asked about how to arrange flights to/from Punta Arenas. Doyle noted that the frequency of flights will likely be less in winter and that access to the Palmer is only for 1.5 days after the ship is docked. She also said that scientists cannot move onto the ship until the night before departure. There was some discussion about lodging in Punta Arenas and access to the port from the hotels.

The next issue was setting dates for future SO GLOBEC meetings. The SSC felt that it should meet between the two cruises, so the next SSC meeting is scheduled for 9-10 July at the NSF. The next science investigator meeting is scheduled for the week of 10 December 2001 in Arlington. This meeting will need about 3 days to discuss cruise planning for 2002 and results of 2001 cruises.

Hofmann noted that the next Ocean Sciences Meeting is in February 2002 in Honolulu, HI. She brought up the issue of organizing special sessions at this meeting on the results of the first SO GLOBEC field season. She also noted that SO GLOBEC scientists from Germany and the UK would like to participate in this meeting. The special session could use a generic GLOBEC title so as to bring in others who are interested in GLOBEC-related science.  However, there are also good reasons for the SO GLOBEC remain as an identifiable program. Wiebe will talk to Fogarty about how best to proceed with a general GLOBEC session as well as a session dedicated to SO GLOBEC.
Hofmann noted that the special session descriptions will be due to AGU during first cruise. She asked about including an international person(s) as co-convenor. She asked about proposing two special sessions, with allows more co-convenors, with multiple parts that include inputs from SO GLOBEC programs in the US, UK, Germany, Australia, Japan, and Korea. All agreed with this.

Wiebe brought up the need for a joint cruise planning meeting in Punta Arenas prior to the April-May cruise. This meeting is scheduled for 19 April in the conference room on the Palmer. This meeting will consider joint ship operations and work out cruise time lines. The meeting will also serve to review and coordinate cruise plans. At this meeting, an attempt will be made to target dates for the process sites and to work out what will be done at the sites. Doyle noted that the Palmer has a video display for activities and schedules. She noted that these schedules help notify the ship's crew of upcoming activities and equipment needs. She noted that the cruise planning should be done together with the MPC and the ship's captain.   A planning meeting in Punta Arenas for the second cruise is scheduled for 19 July in the Palmer conference room.

A chief scientist notebook will be put together and distributed by the SO GLOBEC planning office. Doyle suggested including an example cargo offload manifest in the book. The notebook will also include the location of moorings, and this information needs to be given to the ship's bridge officers. Other desirable information is radio contact protocols for Rothera and other bases.

Hofmann mentioned putting together an article on SO GLOBEC to be submitted before the cruise leaves. She said that she would expand the article done for the U.S. GLOBEC newsletter and include the international aspects of the program. She asked for images to include in the article, such as the survey grid and process sites map. Wiebe suggested including some of Joey Comiso's sea ice distributions for the Antarctic Peninsula.

Wiebe requested that the scientists have charts that are the same as those used by the ships and similar copies of the digital navigation used by ships (electronic charting programs). Doyle said she would check on this. Doyle said that the Gould will do XBT measurements across Drake Passage during transit to and from the Antarctic. Wiebe said that he is discussing with the Sir Allister Hardy Foundation the use of a continuous plankton recorder during the SO GLOBEC cruises. If this instrument is provided it, will be used during the Drake Passage crossing.

The issue of troubleshooting the HTI acoustic equipment was raised. Doyle said that this equipment can be tested during steaming with the pilot boat.  The acoustics tech will return with pilot boat.

Beardsley raised the issue of using the mast off the bow of the Palmer for sensors. Doyle said that there is interest in instrumenting front mast and that the old system will be taken out and upgraded between two cruises. By the beginning of next year, both ships should have decent bow instrumentation. Now both ships need upgraded bow sensors. The plan is to affix a TV tower in place of the mast. The sensors will be installed after the Palmer arrives in Punta Arenas in June.

Beardsley next gave an update about the AWS from his phone discussion with Chuck Stearns. He said that the units units cost about $7-8K each and that Stearns will ask Lettau for funding. Beardsley said that Stearns has considerable interest in getting stations put up down in the Marguerite Bay region since this area has no weather measurements. He said that the AWS consists of a tower, a solar panel, sensors, and battery boxes (batteries designed to last two years). Stearns indicated that the AWS is not normally anchored at the base beyond anchoring the battery boxes. Doyle said that RPS will set up training for deployment of the AWS. The AWS uplinks data about every 6 hours and the data are from the last 12 hours. Stearns said that a critical issue is to know the elevation of the ASW station to the
nearest meter.

The final issue was writing assignments. The chief scientist for each cruise was asked to submit a draft cruise plan for inclusion in the minutes of the meeting.

There being no other business, the SSC meeting was adjourned.